How does the submission or consultation process work?
We’ll have a complimentary conversation (by phone or email) to discuss your project, get to know each other a bit, talk about my coaching, editing, or writing style (whichever service you’re interested in), and determine whether I’m the right fit for your needs.
Based on your project goals, we put together a plan and sign a basic agreement that explains the terms and scope of the job.
Submission Guidelines for Editing
You’ll send me your manuscript in a MS Word document. Depending on what we’ve agreed upon, some of the work I do might include:
- Provide detailed margin notes throughout your manuscript identifying strengths and weaknesses.
- Discuss full arc of the manuscript, the authenticity and consistency of the narrative voice, the overall structure and chapter-by-chapter breakdown, plus structure and formatting. For fiction manuscripts, I will also pay attention to plot, tension/conflict, pacing, setting, characterization, dialogue, point of view, and voice.
- Offer suggestions for de-cluttering your prose.
- Flag basic errors such as spelling, punctuation, grammar, and sentence structure.
- Help you bridge transitions between drafts.
- Guide you through all stages of writing a book, from imagining the story to proofreading.
I will send back your manuscript with an editorial letter outlining my comments in detail. You will have every opportunity you need to review and discuss my suggestions and ideas.
The following is a list of types of manuscripts I can help you with:
- Individual short stories
- Fiction collections
- Novels, including literary, young adult, middle grade, and genre fiction
- Individual essays
- Essay collections
- Book-length creative non-fiction
Submission Guidelines for Story Coaching
Because story coaching runs the gamut from motivational support to teaching the craft, each client consultation varies greatly. It costs nothing to give me a call and talk about your vision for your project–so what are you waiting for?
Submission Guidelines for Freelance Writing
Send over a brief proposal, along with any links to websites or social media channels associated with your proposed project. Then we can schedule a time to chat more in depth about your specific goals.
Submission Guidelines for Editing
Send along a 3-5 page synopsis plus a chapter-by-chapter blurb of your manuscript. Include total word count, genre, and what service you’re looking for.
- 12-point Times New Roman or Arial font
- 1″ side margins; 1.5″ top and bottom margins
- MS Word document file attachment (.doc or .dox only)
- 1-5 page synopsis (sent in a separate MS Word document file)
- Numbered pages
If you don’t see your project reflected in any of the categories shown above, give me a shout anyway. A complimentary phone call or email exchange will help us figure out if I’m the right coach or editor for you.
25-Page Sample Edit
I offer a sample edit of your first twenty-five pages and your synopsis if you would like a chance to see my style and to get a sense of my editing “eye.”
Included in the sample edit are in-line comments, an assessment on all major storytelling elements, connections between the first twenty-five pages and your synopsis (or any questions/holes that come up for me), a light copy edit, and a summary letter of my findings.
A deposit of $200.00 is required and will be included as part of the total fee if you choose to hire me for a coaching or editing service. However, if you opt to not continue with me, then your deposit of $200.00 is non-refundable.
This will vary from project to project. I am available to do rush jobs. Contact me with your specific project details (genre, word count, what kind of service you need), and I can give you a general idea of my turn-around time. If you need a more specific answer, send me a 3-5 page synopsis and chapter-by-chapter blurb of your manuscript. I can use this additional information to help provide a more precise turn-around time.
30-minute conversation (via phone or e-mail)
Creating a plan for working together on your project
Estimates (see below)
Typically, I base my fees on the individual project for Story Coaching and Freelance Writing. The price depends on your level of experience, what stage you are at in the writing process, what we decide to focus on in your work, your specific goals, and deadline requirements. Because of this, prices vary.
I am happy to give you an estimate on your project, which is complimentary (see below).
The total fee includes:
Completing the work specified in the signed agreement
Reviewing and discussing the completed work
A note about estimates on project-based fees:
Please call or email me first so that we can talk about the project at hand.
- For works 50,000 words or more, please send in the first 1,500 words of your project, along with a 1-5 page synopsis covering the arc of the book. Please follow the format guidelines outlined above to help you know how I would like you to send me the work.
- For smaller works (projects spanning 49,999 words or less), please send the first 1,000 words along with a 1-2 page synopsis covering the arc of the project. Please follow the format guidelines outlined above to help you know how I would like you to send me the work.
Once I’ve seen a preview of your work and we’ve discussed your short- and long-term goals, I can provide you with a project estimate, and a cost ceiling over which I won’t charge.
Due to my Communication Support Policy, you are welcome to email or call me with any questions about my progress. Limited communication exchanges are included in the project fee.
*all rates are subject to change without notice at the editor’s discretion.